Levels of EMT
First Responder Defibrillator (FRD)
Emergency Medical Technician-Basic (EMT-B)
Emergency Medical Technician-Intermediate (EMT-I)
Emergency Medical Technician-Paramedic (EMT-P)
Pre-Hospital Registered Nurse (PHRN)-Analogous to EMT-P
National Registry State
- At least 18 years old
- High school diploma, GED, or Illinois state equivalency test
- Must disclose any felonies
- Disclose any past attempts at taking the National Registry Exam
Length of License
License Maintenance Requirements
EMTs at all licensure levels are required to obtain 120 hours of continuing education within a four year licensure period. It is also a requirement to maintain a current CPR card while actively licensed as an EMT.
Continuing Education Requirements by Level
EMT-B: 120 hours
EMT-I: 120 hours
EMT-P: 120 hours
Regulating State Agency
Illinois Department of Public Health
Division of Emergency Medical Systems and Highway Safety
535 W. Jefferson St
Springfield, IL 62761
Scope of Practice
Illinois is a medical director driven state.
• Hold current American Heart Association Provider CPR card or equivalent
• Provide a letter from the EMS medical director indicating you are in good standing and up-to-date with continuing education hours if you currently participate in an EMS system under an EMS medical director. If you cannot obtain a letter of recommendation, you will need to request a waiver.
• If you have not functioned as an EMT of under the direction of an EMS medical director, include a letter stating you have never worked as an EMT or under and EMS medical director and request that the letter of recommendation be waived. If you are requesting a waiver, you will need to provide photocopies of all continuing education you have completed during your current license/certification.
• Complete child support declaration statement including your Social Security number, and driver’s license number.
20$ made payable to the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians
Accredited Schools for 2013
- Loyola University Medical Centre – Maywood, IL
As of 08/08/2011
The total number of active licensees in Illinois is as follows:
• First Responder: 7,919
• First Responder Defibrillator: 11,383
• EMT-Basic: 22,952
• EMT-Intermediate: 959
• EMT-Paramedic: 13,850
• Pre-Hospital RN: 333